Zirconia ceramic dental implants – what is it?
Zirconia dental implants are known as non-metal, ceramic implants. Because the substance has no harm to the human body, zirconia implants are often recommended for people prone to allergic reactions. The new generation of zirconia implants is one of the safest, most reliable, and durable dental restoration methods. Zirconium dental implants are durable and look more natural. Because Zirconium does not release any allergic particles to the body, this method of implantation is strongly recommended for allergy-prone patients. These ceramic implants are made from high-quality zirconia, which competes with the sturdiness of titanium implants.
Studies have shown that soft tissues attach very quickly to ceramic implants. The implants themselves are screwed in such a way that there is no room left for bacteria to accumulate. Proper implantation procedures and high-quality materials make dental care much easier, while the risk of gum inflammation is significantly reduced.
Benefits of zirconia ceramic dental implants
- • No irritation to soft tissues and therefore faster healing;
- • No irritation to the immune system that could trigger an allergic reaction;
- • The properties of the material do not change, and it does not interact with oral care products;
- • No conduction of heat, and does not cause unpleasant sensations in the mouth;
- • Zirconium is a poor conductor, so the attraction of the bacteria is significantly lower than in metal implants;
- • Anesthetic look, similar to the color of natural teeth;
- • With thin, receding gums, no gray area is visible at the implant site;
- • Easier care, as there are no gaps for bacteria to accumulate.
Disadvantages of zirconia ceramic dental implants
Zirconia ceramic dental implantation is an extremely safe procedure, but in some rare cases, mostly when a patient poorly follows the dentist’s recommendations, bad recovery can lead to the following complications:
- • Postoperative bleeding.
- • Damage to adjacent tissues.
- • Infection in the area around the implant.
- • Inflammation of the tissues around the implant.
When Zirconia ceramic dental implantation is prohibited?
Dental implantation is not recommended for persons under 16-17 years of age. People who suffer from chronic diseases, heavy smoking patients (who smokes more than 20 cigarettes a day) should not get implants, because their condition makes attachment and healing of the implant much harder, so the procedure may be ineffective.